During the 2012 Federal Sector Design-Build Conference, Turner Construction and the US Army Health Facilities Planning Agency (HFPA), provided an informative & entertaining Advanced BIM | Design-Build educational program titled:
Utilizing BIM to Leverage Knowledge & Coordination Across the Project Delivery Team
Martin Miller, LEED AP of Turner Construction kicked off the session alerting attendees "We're here to serve up the BIM Kool-Aid" -- and then promptly pulled out the classic "smiling Kool-Aid pitcher" filled with red Kool-Aid.
Turner Construction's staff featured their successful BIM - connected design and construction processes they're using to construct the The Fort Benning Hospital.
Jeff Bauer VDC Engineer \ BIM Manager for Turner Construction highlighted the team-value, obtained from the following Revit, BIM processes & technical processes:
- There was extensive use of BIM animations and rendered images to communicate across the team for proposal creation and responding to the RFP process.
- BIM X-Ray Images: BIM models viewed with shaded, but semi-transparent surfaces for team coordination review.
- BIM modeling & embedded data was used for Field Management, Construction Site Safety Planning & Construction Logistics-Phasing Planning
- Managing Room Content Lists & Schedules with Revit to assist with project programming & scope.
- Storage & Bandwidth was always monitored to efficiently manage 200 models (5GB). Managing data & file sizes required a fast onsite network, consistent BIM model-graphics standards & methods for revision control.
Turner used their (JOBOX) mobile BIM Labs; that were located in three main campus buildings (Hospital, North Clinic, and South Clinic)
Turner Construction created an Onsite BIM Lab to manage the daily Design, BIM & Construction Processes. Here are a few outcomes and processes utilized within the lab:
- Navisworks was used regularly every day to plan, evaluate models and simulate construction decisions & processes.
- Everything in scope was modeled prior to construction.
- Shop drawings coordination using an IFC file format
- Commissioning documentation is created as construction progresses to expedite submittal.
- Prefabrication process was used extensively; including the use of bar coding of prefab assemblies; that defined their installation locations. QR codes for material tracking from manufactures to site, provided delivery for installation to the correct location on the campus.
- A completely committed team working within a BIM process; underscored the schedule + budget value of EVERYONE using and participating in the BIM process.
- The BIM process’ significant contributions to project schedule & budget; keeping a very aggressive program on schedule and within budget.
Turner Construction is using a BIM-based construction process; that delivers a dramatically faster process for installing MEP hanger inserts; while providing a substantially safer work environment for construction workers.
The BIM process has enabled sub-contractors to connect geographically-position (GPS) technology and BIM facility files to create a way-finding, installation system. Turner teams collect hanger point locations; from the GPS coordinated BIM file (In the Office) for layout in the field.
Traditionally, MEP hanger inserts were installed from the underside of the deck; after the concrete topping was poured. We used a ladder (Less safe), drilling up into the underside of concrete. One worker could install approximately 20 holes a day.
The GPS \ BIM-enabled process, empowers a crew of 3 workers to install (From top of metal deck and walking with no ladder needed– (Safer) to install 750 hanger inserts\day.
Installation is much faster and safer – Simply walk to a hanger insert location using the GPS device --and screw in the threaded rods for pipe hanger racks, cable tray, electrical conduit racks, etc.
This is an excellent example of a time-saving, safer, and more efficient process to install 100,000+ hanger inserts into metal deck before concrete topping is poured.
My \ Our thanks to Jeff Bauer, VDC\BIM Manager - Turner Construction for providing images & editorial review.